2013 Hop Harvest: Whole leaf and pellet hops back in stock -
Looking for hops? We have more than 140 options to choose from. Take a look and happy brewing. Cheers.
We don’t offer our house yeast for sale. But since we don’t filter any of our ales either, you can harvest it directly from the bottle.
Any of our non-Belgian ales are good candidates for this. If you can get your hands on them, Oberon, Midwestern Pale Ale and Amber Ale are all good choices.
What you will need: 1-3 bottles of beer, a vessel, a flame source and the same ingredients required to build a yeast starter.
1. Refrigerate your bottle of beer for one week. Make sure you have a nice slurry on the bottom. Two to three bottles will yield better results.
2. Open bottle and sanitize the lip with a flame.
NOTE: You may also want to spray sanitizer on and around the cap before opening.
3. Gently pour the beer into a glass, leaving the sediment (yeast) in the bottle.
4. Swirl the sediment/yeast in the bottle and re-flame the lip.
5. Pour sediment into a sanitized container.
6. Grow your yeast using a stepped starter – start with 75ML (about 1/3 of a cup) of wort, then let ferment for two to three days. Then add an additional 750ML of wort and let ferment an additional two to three days.
Twelve homebrews (out of 144) made it to the final round for this year’s Bell’s Homebrew Competition.
But only one will go on tap at the Eccentric Café.
David Lyman of Kalamazoo (pictured above with his wife), will brew his Citra and Simcoe hopped Pale Ale at Bell’s original brewery in downtown Kalamazoo.
For more on the winners, go here.
Just a reminder: Entries for this year’s Homebrew Competition are due to the General Store by 9 p.m. on Saturday (Oct. 26).
The winner will be announced during All Stouts Day on Nov. 3.
Bell's Brewery, Inc. :: Blog -
Details for our 4th Annual #Homebrew Competition & Expo on Sept. 14. are now available. Cheers and good luck to all who enter!
Entering this year’s Michigan Beer Cup?
Drop off your entries to the Bell’s General Store by Monday, July 15 and we will take care of getting it delivered.
Entries must be registered via michiganbeercup.com first though to be eligible. Questions? Give the store a call at 269-382-5712.
Check out our new Grain Room at the Bell’s General Store!
You can now purchase grain in bulk and crush it with out motorized mill.
From now until Sunday (June 16), get:
This offer is only available at the General Store in downtown Kalamazoo, 355 E. Kalamazoo Ave.